[Qt-creator] Does someone understand this CMake error

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 13:03:23 CEST 2017

On 26/10/17 13:54, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Solved by ticking the "Auto-create build directories" checkbox in
>> Options->Build & Run->CMake.
>>
>> That should have been enabled by default, IMO, given that you can't build
>> your project without it and get the most obscure error message.
>
> So far I never ran into that problem with the temporary directories
> Creator builts into (till you actually build stuff:-). Unfortunately
> there is no way to make cmake not write things, so without the
> temporary directory hack it will create lots of directories and files
> and people report that creator should not clutter up their drives just
> because they want to take a quick look into some code.

When you open a CMake project, you need to configure a build directory.
I think it should go without saying that this directory is going to be
created.

I just discovered something else. If you switch from Ninja to Unix
Makefiles, then even if the checkbox is disabled, the directory is still
created and there's no error message anymore. So the whole thing seems
to be inconsistent, too :-)