[Qt-creator] Time to update sdktool's README.

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Fri Sep 29 09:45:16 CEST 2017

> On 29. Sep 2017, at 09:33, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Answering myself, that was an interesting dive.
>
> On 28 September 2017 at 19:47, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> The sdktool home page [1] seems like it needs a serious brush up:
>> - The examples still refer to the old "ini" files, not the XML ones.
>
> It's pretty clear at this point that things are manages through XML settings.
> Running SDKtool do update XML files with QtC 4.4, but which one seems
> to depend on being Enterprise or not.
> OpenSource updates the user config
> Enterprise updates the SDK config (--path in sdktool?)

Don’t know what you mean there. The complete base Qt Creator, including sdktool are the same in OpenSource and Commercial.

>> - The option arguments have certainly changed.
>
> The list of operations does not seem to have changed, the details
> about specific operations have changed somewhat significantly.
>
> addKit --<lang>toolchain needs to list the possible languages, it is
> "C" or "Cpp" and it took me a while to find them!
> They have to correspond to a portion of a QtC setting tag.....
>
>> - Things have changed a lot since Qt Creator 2.6.
>
> Yes, in their form, no in their meaning. Kits are still kits.
>
>> - What about Qbs?
>
> Qbs profiles are synced with QtC kits, possible to inject some Qbs
> stuff with some operations like addQt.
>
>> - What about CMake? (don't care right now, but it might change)
>
> I saw some stuff, but didn't bother, managed with addQt i think.
>
>> - What about qmake? (don't care right now, but it might change)
>
> Cannot have a kit without a runnable qmake and a valid mkspec.
> Coredump analysis requires full dev env.
>
>> - What about target devices?
>
> The list of types have changed, nokia stuff is gone, replaced with
> GenericLinuxOsType key (QtC settings "tag", "General Linux Device" in
> the UI).
>
> There's a (new?) addDev, not sure how this works.
>
>> - What about gdb? (the doc says it's managed with addQt)
>
> addQt has gain a gdb-id, but there's no addGDB operation, so cannot
> inject a gdb-on-its-own id into SDK.

GDB is a debugger which is registered with addDebugger, probably with --engine 1
(an example is in http://code.qt.io/cgit/qtsdk/qtsdk.git/tree/packaging-tools/configurations/pkg_templates/pkg_tools/qt.tools.win32_mingw492/meta/installscript.qs#n83)