[Qt-creator] Time to update sdktool's README.

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 09:33:08 CEST 2017

Answering myself, that was an interesting dive.

On 28 September 2017 at 19:47, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The sdktool home page [1] seems like it needs a serious brush up:
> - The examples still refer to the old "ini" files, not the XML ones.

It's pretty clear at this point that things are manages through XML settings.
Running SDKtool do update XML files with QtC 4.4, but which one seems
to depend on being Enterprise or not.
OpenSource updates the user config
Enterprise updates the SDK config (--path in sdktool?)

> - The option arguments have certainly changed.

The list of operations does not seem to have changed, the details
about specific operations have changed somewhat significantly.

addKit --<lang>toolchain needs to list the possible languages, it is
"C" or "Cpp" and it took me a while to find them!
They have to correspond to a portion of a QtC setting tag.....

> - Things have changed a lot since Qt Creator 2.6.

Yes, in their form, no in their meaning. Kits are still kits.

> - What about Qbs?

Qbs profiles are synced with QtC kits, possible to inject some Qbs
stuff with some operations like addQt.

> - What about CMake? (don't care right now, but it might change)

I saw some stuff, but didn't bother, managed with addQt i think.

> - What about qmake? (don't care right now, but it might change)

Cannot have a kit without a runnable qmake and a valid mkspec.
Coredump analysis requires full dev env.

> - What about target devices?

The list of types have changed, nokia stuff is gone, replaced with
GenericLinuxOsType key (QtC settings "tag", "General Linux Device" in
the UI).

There's a (new?) addDev, not sure how this works.

> - What about gdb? (the doc says it's managed with addQt)

addQt has gain a gdb-id, but there's no addGDB operation, so cannot
inject a gdb-on-its-own id into SDK.
gdb added with sdktool through addQt operation will appear as "magic
from kit FooBar" in QtC settings UI, not kidding.
Coredump analysis requires full dev env.

> - And what about any custom tool running on the target device?

Forget about it for now.