[Qt-creator] How do you run Qt Creator on Wayland?

timur.kristof at gmail.com timur.kristof at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:45:40 CEST 2018

Hi,

I'm using latest Qt Creator 4.6.0 on Fedora where I run a Gnome Wayland
session (the default in newer Fedora releases).

Out of curiosity, I poked around and was surprised to notice that Qt
Creator runs inside XWayland, despite Qt's Wayland support. So I tried
to run Qt Creator as a Wayland client, and failed spectacularly.

Here is what I did:

1. Noticed that the wayland plaform plugins are not even installed:
Could not find them in either locations:
QtSDK/Tools/QtCreator/lib/Qt/plugins
QtSDK/5.10.1/gcc_64/plugins

2. Cloned the QtWayland module, checked out the v5.10.1 tag, and
compiled it myself. Then installed it to
QtSDK/Tools/QtCreator/lib/Qt/plugins

3. Started Qt Creator with:
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland ./qtcreator

Result:
Qt Creator launches, but:
- text input doesn't work - making the app completely unusable
- rendering (especially in the code editor) is very flaky
- the window decoration looks out of place
- the mouse pointer is bigger inside the Qt Creator window than outside
- different icons are used compared to running it on X11

Are these all known issues?
I would have kind of expected it to just work out of the box,
considering Qt has had Wayland support for several years now, but seems
that this isn't the case unfortunately. Or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Best regards,
Tim