[Qt-creator] How do you run Qt Creator on Wayland?

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Tue Apr 24 09:34:06 CEST 2018

> On Apr 23, 2018, at 17:45, timur.kristof at gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using latest Qt Creator 4.6.0 on Fedora where I run a Gnome Wayland
> session (the default in newer Fedora releases).
>
> Out of curiosity, I poked around and was surprised to notice that Qt
> Creator runs inside XWayland, despite Qt's Wayland support. So I tried
> to run Qt Creator as a Wayland client, and failed spectacularly.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> 1. Noticed that the wayland plaform plugins are not even installed:
> Could not find them in either locations:
> QtSDK/Tools/QtCreator/lib/Qt/plugins
> QtSDK/5.10.1/gcc_64/plugins

Qt 5.11 will be the first version that actually comes with binaries for the wayland plugin.
Qt Creator builds on our Qt binary packages.
But actually this email is a good reminder for me to take care of https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-18914 .

Otherwise I have no idea in what state the wayland support is.

> 2. Cloned the QtWayland module, checked out the v5.10.1 tag, and
> compiled it myself. Then installed it to
> QtSDK/Tools/QtCreator/lib/Qt/plugins
>
> 3. Started Qt Creator with:
> QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland ./qtcreator
>
> Result:
> Qt Creator launches, but:
> - text input doesn't work - making the app completely unusable
> - rendering (especially in the code editor) is very flaky
> - the window decoration looks out of place
> - the mouse pointer is bigger inside the Qt Creator window than outside
> - different icons are used compared to running it on X11
>
> Are these all known issues?
> I would have kind of expected it to just work out of the box,
> considering Qt has had Wayland support for several years now, but seems
> that this isn't the case unfortunately. Or am I doing it wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answers!
> Best regards,
> Tim

Eike Ziller