[Qt-creator] Perf parser

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at qt.io
Fri Dec 21 12:24:08 CET 2018

> Is it possible to profile Creator using perf from within the same
> Creator executable? I can profile other applications, but trying to
> profile Creator I notice that perfparser remains 100% active when the
> other instance window is already closed.

I've profiled Qt Creator with the Performance Analyzer before.

Profiling creator generates _a lot_ of data, though. If perfparser takes
too long to process it, you could reduce the sampling frequency or the
stack depth. If it still takes a long time with a very low sampling
frequency (say, 10), then it's a bug in perfparser.

Also, make sure to use an optimized build of perfparser and the "parent"
qtcreator. That makes a big difference for me at least.

Ulf