[Qt-creator] [Development] Requesting repository for telemetry plugin in Qt Creator

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Thu Feb 22 20:05:42 CET 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 04:42:55PM +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> 22.02.2018, 16:39, "Ryein Goddard" <ryein.goddard at gmail.com>:
> > This might be nice to make pretty charts to show to managers, but to be
> > completely honest I think it is 100% useless.

I fully subscribe to that.

> > If you don't know what people
> > are using your software for, or how then you aren't communicating with
> > them.  You know once upon a time companies just talked with people to figure
> > out what they wanted and what they were having difficulties with.  Why not
> > just take a few surveys a year?
>
> Well, there are things that are hard to report via survey, e.g. rate of
> crashes or memory leaking in clangbackend

Any number for a "measured" value for rate of crashes or memory leaks
is uninteresting for me when I run into the problem myself reqularly.
And trust me, I do.

As someone who has been working on Qt Creator for more than a decade I *do* know
about issues in the IDE by my own use of it, by the significant backlog of bug
reports in JIRA, and by interacting with (sometimes referred to as "talking to")
actual users.

The currently 399 open issues assigned to me personally would already be enough
to keep me busy for approximately a $WHILE, full time, not including time spent in
review processes etc.

I certainly do not need another input channel that makes me spent time on
guessing how the information that "user A spent at time B an amount of C minutes
working on project named D" will translate into making my work more efficient
nor in how to improve Qt Creator in general. In fact, I consider all of that
irrelevant and detrimental and would strongly prefer to *not* get access to such
information, and neither to anyone's interpretation what bug report this
information may relate to.

That makes a clear -1 from my side for technical reasons already.

Neither legal nor ethical considerations are likely to improve that.

Andre' (not speaking for any company etc etc)