[Qt-creator] Correct way to start a light IDE based on Qt Creator

Seyyed Razi Alavizadeh s.r.alavizadeh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 04:46:34 CET 2018

​​

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 6:49 PM, Seyyed Razi Alavizadeh
> <s.r.alavizadeh at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I want to start an IDE based on Qt Creator. But I need some advice and
> idea
> > before doing anything. Some questions:
> >
> > 1- As there are some (maybe a lot of) my application users using Windows
> XP,
> > so I need to support XP.
> > Do I ha
> ​​
> ve to start based on an old version of QtCreator supporting XP or I
> > should forget about XP?
>
> XP is unsupported by Microsoft for a long time. So no updates, no
> security updates, no support from new compilers.
>
> The latter is pretty important as Creator is using more and more C++14
> and later features.
>
> > 2- As "Qt Creator" is hard-coded everywhere. To rename qtcreator I have
> > change a lots of files. This will cause some problems for updating base
> code
> > to latest qtcreator code.*
>
> That should be configurable now in the master branch.

​Maybe you can point me to a file or commit?​

> > Which solution is better? And, what is your suggestion?
> >      2.a - Start implementing my app based on current stable version of
> > QtCreator and do not consider QtCreator as an upstream project. So no
> need
> > to update base code.
> >      2.b - Start implementing my app based on latest development version
> of
> > QtCreator and regularly ( daily? :/ ) update base code of my application
> > with the latest commits from QtCreator. Maybe daily update is not very
> > practical?
>
> I would use the master branch and follow Creator releases.
>
> Try to keep your changes in your own plugins as much as possible and
> contribute the rest to upstream.
> ​​
>
> Anything to keep the diff to upstream small spares you from the hassle
> to maintain it:-)

​Well, what do you suggest about "doc" (and "qbs") sub-directories and also
unneeded plugins?​ Removing them will complicate maintain and keeping them
will complicate source-code.

> > *: I would liked there was an XML file that by modifying it QtCreator was
> > completely renamed to MY_APP name. :D
> >
> > 3- (somehow like 1) As I want a simple and light IDE. Is it good to start
> > based on an old version of QtCreator (such as v2.6) that have much
> smaller
> > code size than newer versions of QtCreator?
>
> What do you want to do to slim things down?

I do some checks, and I think there is no a big issue here. Indeed, in my
qtcreator installation, the size of "clang" related files is 94MB of 176MB
total size. So my application installed size will be ~80MB that is good.
Also, my app will need 4-5 plugins enabled by default, so it should have a
fast startup than QtCreator.

> > Sorry for my bad English.
>
> No worry, bad English is the standard around here:-)

​:)​

> Best Regards,
> Tobias

​Best Regards,