[Qt-creator] Correct way to start a light IDE based on Qt Creator

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 21:47:10 CET 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 6:49 PM, Seyyed Razi Alavizadeh
<s.r.alavizadeh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I want to start an IDE based on Qt Creator. But I need some advice and idea
> before doing anything. Some questions:
>
> 1- As there are some (maybe a lot of) my application users using Windows XP,
> so I need to support XP.
> Do I have to start based on an old version of QtCreator supporting XP or I
> should forget about XP?

XP is unsupported by Microsoft for a long time. So no updates, no
security updates, no support from new compilers.

The latter is pretty important as Creator is using more and more C++14
and later features.

> 2- As "Qt Creator" is hard-coded everywhere. To rename qtcreator I have to
> change a lots of files. This will cause some problems for updating base code
> to latest qtcreator code.*

That should be configurable now in the master branch.

> Which solution is better? And, what is your suggestion?
>      2.a - Start implementing my app based on current stable version of
> QtCreator and do not consider QtCreator as an upstream project. So no need
> to update base code.
>      2.b - Start implementing my app based on latest development version of
> QtCreator and regularly ( daily? :/ ) update base code of my application
> with the latest commits from QtCreator. Maybe daily update is not very
> practical?

I would use the master branch and follow Creator releases.

Try to keep your changes in your own plugins as much as possible and
contribute the rest to upstream.

Anything to keep the diff to upstream small spares you from the hassle
to maintain it:-)

> *: I would liked there was an XML file that by modifying it QtCreator was
> completely renamed to MY_APP name. :D
>
> 3- (somehow like 1) As I want a simple and light IDE. Is it good to start
> based on an old version of QtCreator (such as v2.6) that have much smaller
> code size than newer versions of QtCreator?

What do you want to do to slim things down?

> Sorry for my bad English.

No worry, bad English is the standard around here:-)

Best Regards,
Tobias