[Qt-creator] List of applications spawned by Qt Creator

Orgad Shaneh orgads at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 21:48:36 CEST 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 10:31 PM Murphy, Sean <smurphy at walbro.com> wrote:

> I'm in a fight with my corporate IT guys about anti-virus software that
> they've put on my machine which is absolutely killing performance when
> attempting to debug software I'm developing. It takes more than 5 minutes
> from clicking File->Open in my application to having a working file dialog
> - and that has been timed with a stopwatch, it's not an exaggeration.
>
> They've agreed to try whitelisting certain .exe's if I can get them a
> list, so I'm trying to figure out a comprehensive list of what Qt Creator
> spawns when compiling and debugging on Windows. Is there a list of the
> executables somewhere? By watching Task Manager, I can see things like
> "mingw-make32.exe" while compiling and "gdb.exe" and "gdborig.exe" while
> debugging, just not sure if there are others.
>

>From my experience, anti-viruses tend to be intolerable, and worse than the
viruses they should protect against.

I had several AVs installed on my machine by IT (we had Checkpoint, then
Kaspersky). They all magically ended up disabled (shhhh... don't tell
anyone).

In practice, if you need a whitelist, I can think of the following:
mingw32-make.exe, gcc.exe, g++.exe, cc1plus.exe, gdb.exe, nmake.exe,
jom.exe, cl.exe, *.cpp, *.c, *.h, *.hpp

Good luck!
- Orgad