[Qt-creator] GSoC 2018: New feature proposal for Qt Creator

André Hartmann andre.hartmann at iseg-hv.de
Mon Mar 12 08:25:13 CET 2018

Hi Gowtham,

your proposal sounds indeed interesting. And we have the task
QTCREATORBUG-16246, which almost looks like your suggestion.

So there *is* interest in this topic :)

I've just two comments to the implementation:

* Would it be enough to have the files on a network share instead of
rsync'ing them?
* Is it really needed to have Clang running on the remote machine? Would
it be enough to have access to the included headers on remote?

Best regards,
André

[1] https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-16246

Am 10.03.2018 um 21:15 schrieb Sree Gowtham Josyula:
> Hello All,
>
> This mail was initially posted in the Qt  Development mailing list
> <http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2018-March/032301.html>,
> but I am reposting here, with minor edits, as the audience here are
> more appropriate.
>
> I am a Masters Student in Computer Engineering Program at Arizona
> State University. I am interested in participating in Google Summer of
> Code(GSoC) 2018 with Qt as my mentor organization. Link -
> https://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/02/22/google-summer-of-code-2018/
>
> In this mail, I would like to propose a new feature for Qt Creator as
> my GSoC project, based on my experience at my previous company.
>
> Issue faced in previous company -  In my previous company, we had our
> development environment in Windows and target platform as arm-linux
> machine. For that, we would develop code on Windows systems and then
> sync the project/workspace to the remote linux server and then compile
> with the cross-compilation tool-chain there and then deploy on the
> target machine elsewhere.
>
> In the above setup  we faced the following problems -
> 1. Unavailability of code completion frameworks on the development
> machine as not all the platform headers were available locally
> 2. Frequently syncing the workspace was a wasteful of time
>
> In order to solve the above problem, I would like to propose a "Remote
> System Development Plug-in" for editing, compiling, executing &
> debugging files on a remote system on the lines on Emacs Tramp package
> (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TrampMode).
>
> High Level Features -
>
> 1. Public key registration of development machine on remote machine
> (and vice-versa) for seamless syncing of files between the two
> machines
> 2. Setting up a toolkit (Compiler, Debugger, Qt Tool-chain, cmake,
> qmake, qbs, sysroot) of a remote machine on the Development machine's
> Qt Creator IDE
> 3. Opening projects of remote machine in development machine (using
> the same interface used for opening project on development machine)
> 4. Automatic syncing of workspace between development machine and
> remote machine(on every save & periodically) - could be done using
> rsync
> 5. Compilation of code on the remote machine with the tool-chain setup there
> 6. Execution & debugging code on Remote machine
> 7. Supporting Clang based code completion, got-definition &
> refactoring - Might need to run a clang-daemon/Language Server on the
> remote machine and send the responses to development machine.
>
> Kindly let me know your thoughts about my above idea.
>
> Best Regards,
> Gowtham
> (Sree Gowtham Josyula)

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) André Hartmann
Softwareentwicklung / Software Development

E-Mail: andre.hartmann at iseg-hv.de | Tel: +49 351 26996-43 | Fax: +49 351
26996-21

iseg Spezialelektronik GmbH - HIGH VOLTAGE. EXACTLY.
iseg-hv.de | iseg-hv.com | download.iseg-hv.com

Bautzner Landstr. 23, 01454 Radeberg / Rossendorf, Germany
Geschäftsführer / Managing directors: Dr. Frank Gleisberg, Dr. Joachim
Pöthig
Amtsgericht / Lower district court: Dresden HRB 16250
Umsatzsteuer-Id: / VAT-ID: DE812508942

News / Information
https://iseg-hv.com/en/products/control#isegControl2 isegControl2 -
Unified Control Software
https://iseg-hv.com/en/products/detail/EHS EHS FLEX - Customize and keep
the price
https://iseg-hv.com/en/products/detail/EHS EHS STACK - Perfect for GEM
Detectors
https://iseg-hv.com/files/iseg-high-voltage-power-supplies.pdf NEW!
Product catalog 2017 / 2018 released
https://iseg-hv.com/en/products/detail/NHR NHR - NIM HV-Supply with
reversible polarity

Links
https://www.linkedin.com/company/12726924 iseg on LINKEDIN | Let's stay
connected!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5AL-ZgOqSim_1gYNnndyzQ iseg on YOUTUBE
| Tutorials and more ...
https://www.twitter.com/iseg_hv iseg on TWITTER | please follow!
https://iseg-hv.com/files/iseg-high-voltage-power-supplies.pdf iseg
CATALOG | download product catalog as PDF
http://download.iseg-hv.com/ iseg DOWNLOADS | manuals, software,
firmware and more...

Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige
Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren
Sie bitte sofort den Absender und
Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht
gestattet.

you are not the intended recipient
(or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in
this e-mail is strictly forbidden.