[Qt-creator] Per project debug helpers and expending QTC variables in "Extra Debugging Helpers" setting

jeandet alexis.jeandet at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Thu Sep 6 08:26:06 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I was trying to add per project debugging helpers with QTC by using
gdbinit file which doesn't seems to work. If I add something like this
'python exec(open('/some-path/qtc-helpers.py').read())' gdb loads the
file without error while my classes are not decorated and this file
works if loaded from QTC in "Extra Debugging Helpers".
So is there an error in the doc here?

http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging-helpers.html#adding-custom-debugging-helpers
And even here it seems to says that it should works:
https://github.com/awulkiew/debugging-helpers

Then my second attempt was to add %{CurrentProject:Path}/qtc-helpers.py
in "Extra Debugging Helpers", here while there is a little variable
chooser widget, it seems that we can't use QTC variable here.
Looking quickly in the QTC code, this widget is a PathChooser which has
a FancyLineEdit which doesn't seems to expend QTC variables maybe only
ENV vars with Environment::expandVariables .

I'm not sure I'm right but this looks like two bugs? If yes I can do a
bug report.

BTW, my main question is, did I miss a way to load per custom Debugging
Helpers project? I don't really understand why the default use case
would be to make them global. When you work on different projects or
when your classes change you have to update your Debugging Helpers. It
would be more convenient to ship them with each project and QTC would
detect them with some mechanism. This way it would ensure that helpers
match current code.
Best regards,
Alexis.