[Qt-creator] Per project debug helpers and expending QTC variables in "Extra Debugging Helpers" setting

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Thu Sep 6 08:46:50 CEST 2018

> On Sep 6, 2018, at 08:26, jeandet <alexis.jeandet at lpp.polytechnique.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to add per project debugging helpers with QTC by using gdbinit file which doesn't seems to work. If I add something like this 'python exec(open('/some-path/qtc-helpers.py').read())' gdb loads the file without error while my classes are not decorated and this file works if loaded from QTC in "Extra Debugging Helpers".
> So is there an error in the doc here?
> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging-helpers.html#adding-custom-debugging-helpers
> And even here it seems to says that it should works:
> https://github.com/awulkiew/debugging-helpers
>
> Then my second attempt was to add %{CurrentProject:Path}/qtc-helpers.py in "Extra Debugging Helpers", here while there is a little variable chooser widget, it seems that we can't use QTC variable here.
> Looking quickly in the QTC code, this widget is a PathChooser which has a FancyLineEdit which doesn't seems to expend QTC variables maybe only ENV vars with Environment::expandVariables .
>
> I'm not sure I'm right but this looks like two bugs? If yes I can do a bug report.

No idea about the first one, but at least that the variables don’t work sounds like a bug.
The variable chooser is there, but it looks like the value is not expanded where it is used
(e.g. in  GdbEngine::setupEngine(), "const QString path = stringSetting(ExtraDumperFile);” there should be some kind of Utils::globalMacroExpander()->expand(…) be involved).

Br, Eike

> BTW, my main question is, did I miss a way to load per custom Debugging Helpers project? I don't really understand why the default use case would be to make them global. When you work on different projects or when your classes change you have to update your Debugging Helpers. It would be more convenient to ship them with each project and QTC would detect them with some mechanism. This way it would ensure that helpers match current code.
>
> Best regards,
> Alexis.

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer