[Qt-creator] [External] Re: Export source location etc. to environment

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Tue Apr 2 10:40:13 CEST 2019

On 29/03/2019 15:12, Toralf Lund wrote:
> On 29/03/2019 13:21, Eike Ziller wrote:
>>
>>> On 29. Mar 2019, at 12:32, Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I'm trying to use Qt Creator with a CMake project managed by someone
>>> else, which relies on environment variables to specify a source
>>> location, install target on the source tree etc. [ ... ]
>>>
>>> Another slight issue is that I need to set up the same variables for
>>> multiple build configurations related to the project, and the only
>>> way I can find to do that i Qt Creator, is to duplicate the set-up
>>> on the "Build Setup" page for each and every configuration. Is there
>>> a way a shared environment can be set up instead? When I say
>>> "shared" I mean shared within the project or possibly the kit, not
>>> system-wide.
>> Kits have an “Environment” settings,
>
> OMG. There it is, right between "Compiler" and "Debugger". I have
> completely overlooked that before. Several times. Even when I was
> searching specifically for it. So that solves part of the problem in a
> way.
>

>>   and that should support Qt Creator variables (like
>> %{CurrentProject:NativePath}), maybe that solves your issue?
>
> Unfortunately, it does not look like variables are supported; I get
> the literal text entered in the environment, and not the contents of
> the variable. Is that actually different on your system? I don't have
> an entirely new Qt Creator as I'm using a pre-built version from the
> "EPEL" repository on a CentOS 7 system...

I've built a newer qt-creator, now, and there is definitely a
difference. I now have 4.8.2, and variables are definitely expanded.
String substations work, too, which allows me to set up a target
location based on the source (according to certain conventions) and get
a clean parent directory string (which are also needed.) :-) I also
briefly tested 4.7.something, and some or all of the above worked there,
too.

Next is to see if I can find a way to install the kit in a more
system-wide fashion...

- Toralf