[Qt-creator] QtCreator 4.9 and Clang Tidy Feedback

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Wed Feb 20 14:35:54 CET 2019

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 3:14 AM Nikolai Kosjar <Nikolai.Kosjar at qt.io> wrote:

> On 2/19/19 3:19 PM, Michael Jackson wrote:
> > Started using the 4.9 betas last week and generally I like the
> > improvements. I do like the idea of moving the clang-tidy to the
> > “Analyze” menu in order to make it easier to get to.
>
> It was already in that menu since version 4.7. And before that it was
> also there, but as "Clang Static Analyzer" :)
>

> > Could we get a
> > “Clang-Tidy current File” (in the same idea as Beautifier plugin has
> > Clang-Format current file).
>
> Sounds useful. https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-22008 was
> just created for this.
>
> Another one that might be useful is "Analyze the touched files of last N
> commits."
>
> Nikolai

Yes, I would take either one right now. Our current code base was written
almost 10 years ago and until about 2017 one of our collaborators was stuck
VS 2010 so there was almost _no_ use of C++11, let alone GSL, C++14 and all
of the recommended modern programming styles. As we update each file for
bugs we like to have all of the clang-tidy warnings show up to remind us
what needs to be updated. The downside is just having to wait what seems
like forever for the functions menu to become available. I look forward to
seeing a few more "quality of life" improvements in this area added into
the next version.

--
Mike Jackson