[Qt-creator] Making an installer of Qt creator plugin on Windows

Artem Razin artem.razin at gmail.com
Thu May 2 18:34:23 CEST 2019

Hi,

I am really a newbie in Qt world, and unfortunately Google didn't help
me this time.

Currently I am working on an installer for my plugin for Qt Creator on
Windows, but I just can't find a good way to enumerate all installed
Qt Creators (to copy the plugin dll to a plugin directory of each
installed version).

I realized that (at least) fresh Qt builds can be found in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\***,
so an installer could check all such entries, then check presence of
qtcreator.exe in <InstallLocation>\Tools\QtCreator\bin\qtcreator.exe
(<InstallLocation> is a value of "InstallLocation" in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\***).

Is there a better way?

Might it happen that this way will not work, i.e. probably there is
another way of installing Qt Creator?

What's a common way to distribute Qt creator plugins? Just looked at
qtc-cppcheck, and they just distribute a compiled dll, without an
installer at all...

Thank you.

--
Best regards,