[Qt-creator] QtCreator and CMake - projects getting tired...

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Fri Nov 1 09:40:44 CET 2019

> On 1. Nov 2019, at 09:02, Cornelis Bockemühl <cornelis at bockemuehl.ch> wrote:
>
> I know that probably I should update eventually: my QtCreator is version 4.9.0 - and maybe the issue will go away!? However it is hard to tell immediately because it happens only sporadically, so I could not reproduce it on purpose. And right now it just happened again, so I am taking the opportunity. Anyway, I work with CMake, and my guess is that it happens only with this combination. (By the way, I am working with CMake version 3.14.0, Windows 10 64-bit, MSVC2015 and Qt 5.11.2).
>
> For myself I call this phenomenon "the QtCreator is getting tired". Meaning: it needs a break.
>
> Typically it happens during a phase of many changes in a project setup. Like the project is complex, but not even once run through a successful build, so I have to change dependencies here, add another CMakeLists.txt there, and other such changes that may affect the whole or parts of the setup. And if I have done this a few times, and then I try another build, I only get the following message:
>
> "Configuration is faulty. Check the Issues view for details."
>
> And in the issues view I am getting this:
>
> "A CMake tool must be set up for building. Configure a CMake tool in the kit options."

That seems to be https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-18530 , supposedly finally fixed in 4.11.

Otherwise going to 4.11 will also improve CMake support in other regards: It uses CMake’s new (I think 3.14+) file-base API for IDEs, which removes the need to keep a cmake process running on the project, which always interfered with e.g. running cmake on the console, had its own file watches with all related issues etc.

Br, Eike

> Ok, this is all nonsense, because I have such a tool configured for long, so it is useless to even try following this advice. But I know this for a long time already: "the QtCreator is tired and needs a break."
>
> So I simply close it. And after a few seconds I start it again. (Right, it recovers really quickly!) And after going back to my project, everything is fine again! No missing CMake configuration or whatever - which was obviously already not true in the first place.
>
> Right now I am only reporting this because it is a bit "ugly", and long ago when it first happened it really worried me indeed - and I tried to fix some configuration problems that do not exist. Now I know the thing, and I simply restart QtCreator - and everything is fine again!
>
> Best regards,
> Cornelis

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer