[Qt-creator] QtCreator and CMake - projects getting tired...

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Nov 4 16:15:06 CET 2019

I am glad to see these kinds of tough bugs getting fixed in Creator. My own philosophy when using Creator is that Creator really needs to have "working" CMake project. If I am going to go down the road of editing my CMakeLists.txt (and other CMake files) then I switch out of Creator and into VS Code. That way I can edit all the CMake related files, test the configuration from the command line without worrying about Creator getting "Lost, angry or just tired". When my project is back to configuring correctly then I jump back to Creator, let it run CMake one more time to get the project back up and running. Then go about actually editing my source files. Just my 2 cents.

Creator is a great product and I don't know what I would do without it but every package has it's weakness and round tripping in Creator when editing CMake files isn't the best experience so far. (It's close.. ).

--
Mike Jackson

On 11/1/19, 4:40 AM, "Qt-creator on behalf of Eike Ziller" <qt-creator-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of Eike.Ziller at qt.io> wrote:

    > On 1. Nov 2019, at 09:02, Cornelis Bockemühl <cornelis at bockemuehl.ch> wrote:
    >
    > I know that probably I should update eventually: my QtCreator is version 4.9.0 - and maybe the issue will go away!? However it is hard to tell immediately because it happens only sporadically, so I could not reproduce it on purpose. And right now it just happened again, so I am taking the opportunity. Anyway, I work with CMake, and my guess is that it happens only with this combination. (By the way, I am working with CMake version 3.14.0, Windows 10 64-bit, MSVC2015 and Qt 5.11.2).
    >
    > For myself I call this phenomenon "the QtCreator is getting tired". Meaning: it needs a break.
    >
    > Typically it happens during a phase of many changes in a project setup. Like the project is complex, but not even once run through a successful build, so I have to change dependencies here, add another CMakeLists.txt there, and other such changes that may affect the whole or parts of the setup. And if I have done this a few times, and then I try another build, I only get the following message:
    >
    > "Configuration is faulty. Check the Issues view for details."
    >
    > And in the issues view I am getting this:
    >
    > "A CMake tool must be set up for building. Configure a CMake tool in the kit options."

    That seems to be https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-18530 , supposedly finally fixed in 4.11.

    Otherwise going to 4.11 will also improve CMake support in other regards: It uses CMake’s new (I think 3.14+) file-base API for IDEs, which removes the need to keep a cmake process running on the project, which always interfered with e.g. running cmake on the console, had its own file watches with all related issues etc.

    Br, Eike

    > Ok, this is all nonsense, because I have such a tool configured for long, so it is useless to even try following this advice. But I know this for a long time already: "the QtCreator is tired and needs a break."
    >
    > So I simply close it. And after a few seconds I start it again. (Right, it recovers really quickly!) And after going back to my project, everything is fine again! No missing CMake configuration or whatever - which was obviously already not true in the first place.
    >
    > Right now I am only reporting this because it is a bit "ugly", and long ago when it first happened it really worried me indeed - and I tried to fix some configuration problems that do not exist. Now I know the thing, and I simply restart QtCreator - and everything is fine again!
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Cornelis

    Eike Ziller
    Principal Software Engineer