[Qt-creator] DebugerEngine: Need a short description of its "state machine"

Denis Shienkov denis.shienkov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 10:16:45 CET 2019

Hi all.

I'm is in process of integration of a new debugger engine from the KEIL
uVision to allow to debug a bare-metal devices usin the KEIL's uVision
debugger.

But, seems, I'm get stuck a bit with implementation of a my DebuggerEngine.
It is hard to me to examine how it should to work using e.g. the CDB or GDB
engines as an examples (as they contains a lot of code and it is hard to
track of each step).

So, I need in a minimal brief description how it should work. f.e. :

1. What's I need to call to notify an end of setupEngine() call in case of
success and in case of error (what of inferior state?).

2. What's I need to call to notify an end of runEngine() call in case of
success and in case of error (what of inferior state?).

3. What's I need to call to notify an end of shutdownInferior() call in
case of success and in case of error (what of inferior state?).

4. What's I need to call to notify an end of abortDebuggerProcess() call in
case of success and in case of error (what of inferior state?).

5. What a minimal set of this virtual calls should be overriden to make the
engine work?

6. Should I update/reload the stack, local variables, update location,
registers every executeStep{In|Out|Over}?

Could you please advise a minimum set of this calls and the expected
reactions on? Maybe, do you have some documentation?

In this case I can speed-up my integration:
https://github.com/denis-shienkov/qt-creator/tree/uvsc  (I'm even not sure
that is it possible... But I will attempt do it)

BR,
Denis