[Qt-creator] ?==?utf-8?q? Setup of CMake based projects

Cornelis Bockemühl cornelis at bockemuehl.ch
Wed Oct 9 15:28:37 CEST 2019

Hi Tobias,

This is a "side track" of the initial thread about setup problems of CMake based projects: I was mentioning the fact that already now the QtCreator sometimes asks what to do with certain settings that seem to be "changed on disk" - probably meaning: there are differences between *.user file and CMakeCache - but I am not really sure. This would be such a dialog that I am getting from time to time:

And I must admit that so far I had NO CLUE what this dialog really wants to ask me! Now I have at least a guess: the expression "changed on disk" I interpret now in the way that it refers to the content of the CMakeCache file, while "the real project" (compared to which it is "changed") must then probably be what comes from the *.user file. Next you have that table, with the columns "Key", "CMake" and "Project". After our discussion I tend to guess that "CMake" again refers to the CMakeCache, while "Project" refers to the *.user file.

So far I had no problems if I just press the right one of two buttons, but I never had any idea what I am doing with this choice - much less why I am asked this question. And I must admit that this kind of "stirring in the fog" feels a bit strange...

Because: for a "normal human being", ie without being blinded by knowing too much internal details of either CMake or QtCreator, both mean more or less the same: If you are working with a CMake based project then obviously "CMake" is identical with "the project"!

In other words: I think this dialog would need a bit of reconsideration in terms of wording! Like:

- At the top it could be something like "The project has been changed outside of QtCreator"

- Headers of the table: change the order of columns 2 and 3, then replace "Project" by "QtCreator project" and "CMake" by "Changed value"

- Finally the buttons should then be "Discard external changes" (left) and "Adapt QtCreator project to changes" (right)

This assuming that my current understanding which I gained during the discussions in this thread is correct!

Best regards, Cornelis