[Qt-creator] QtC feature request for Android development

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Thu Oct 24 19:39:15 CEST 2019

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 12:45:43PM +0000, Fabrice Mousset | GEOCEPT GmbH wrote:
>    Hi all,
>

>    I would like to submit a little feature request for QtCreator, I hope
>    it is easy to implement.
>
>    My problem with Qt Creator and Android development is that I have to
>    manage different Qt Android Kits for different projects:
>      * Qt for Android 5.7.0
>      * Qt for Android 5.12.5
>      * And soon Qt Android 5.14.x
>

>    The problem with those kits, is that all of them requires another
>    Android NDK Version:
>      * Qt 5.7.x è NDK 10e is recommended
>      * Qt 5.12.x  è NDK 19c is required
>      * Qt 5.14.x è NDK 20 (or superior) is required
>

>    And in Qt Creator we can only define 1 NDK version/location (in
>    Tools/Options/Devices/Android).
>

>    Is it possible to update the Kits view, to add an extra parameter which
>    specify NDK to be use?
>
>    When nothing is specified, then the “global NDK path” will be used.
>

>    I don’t know if this is possible without too much work on Qt Creator,
>    but this would be great!

It's possible in theory, but given the current resources I don't expect
that to happen.

A possibly usable workaround is to configure three different Creator setups,
with three different settings, i.e. run

   qtcreator -settingspath ~/.config/my-qt-5.7
   qtcreator -settingspath ~/.config/my-qt-5.12
   qtcreator -settingspath ~/.config/my-qt-5.1t

You can then configure a single Qt Version and a single NDK version,
develop with one, and build and test with all three.

I admit that this is not nice, but...

>    Google is always changing the NDK and those changes are sometimes very
>    important and break compilation.

Indeed.

Andre'