[Qt-creator] Qt Creator debugging views question

Murphy, Sean smurphy at walbro.com
Wed Aug 12 00:10:46 CEST 2020

When debugging code, is there a way to see the return values of individual calls within a complex conditional? For example, if I've got the following code:

QString a;
QString b;
QString c;
// ... a bunch of code that manipulates the above strings
if(a.isEmpty() || b.isEmpty() || c.isEmpty())
{
  // do something
} else {
  // do something else
}

If I set a breakpoint on or above the "if" line, and then step using the "Step Over" button, I see the cursor bounce around the "if" line a couple times as I press it, and eventually based on the result of the entire conditional I see I see the current line of code move into one or the other sections. But how do I see the return values of each of the individual isEmpty() calls, so I can see which one (or ones) was the culprit for whatever happened.

I feel like this has to be possible in Qt Creator, but I just don't know what the option is called, or what view I need to enable, or what buttons I need to click/check/whatever to get it to happen!

Sean

This message has been scanned for malware by Forcepoint. www.forcepoint.com