[Qt-creator] Annoyance with 4.11

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 11:09:41 CET 2020

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 22:05, Tobias Hunger <Tobias.Hunger at qt.io> wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-02-18 at 13:54 +1300, Christian Gagneraud wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Just updated to 4.11, and with a CMake project, i've noticed (what is
> > for me) regressions in the project explorer.
> > 1. path to subdirectories are shown using backslash, which looks
> > really ugly on Linux
> > 2. this sub-dir path contains nested directory that you need to expand
> > one by one, so there's now one extra node to expand (the path node)
> > 3. now there are 'Header files' and 'Source files' sub nodes, that's
> > yet another nesting level that need to be expanded.
> > 4. sometimes, there's nested duplicated sub-nodes, see attachment
> > 5. All of the above seem to be random, on my project i have all of the
> > above but not always

Hi Tobias,

First i would like to start positive: thanks a lot for all the effort,
for driving QtCreator to the edge of the technology, I enjoy QtCreator
every single day, and i'm always waiting impatiently for the next
release.

**BUT**, It seems that you guys at Qt (and KDAB, etc, ...) went
completely oblivion with CMake.
You decided to adopt the biggest piece of crap ever written by human
kind since the invention of the Perl language.
Just because: Hey! everyone is doing it, let's follow the rotten
rabbit hole that stink like a fish died there 3 years ago.
And now you kind-of telling me that i'm using QtC+CMake the wrong way!
I'm pretty tired with these 10x engineers comments.

OK, i'm done with it, so please find honest answers to your questions below.

> I would guess that you define source groups in your CMakeLists.txt files.

I don't, but as a recent developer survey in my company showed. 97% of
devs use Visual studio (the other 3% are not all using QtCreator BTW).
So yes *they* started to 'define source groups'.
I hate CMake from the bottom of my heart, and i don't understand how a
build system can mix FS layout (git repo), logic Layout (dev's view)
and build dependency (build system view). You got none of them right.
Obviously you can (or not, hence my email), but the question is: Are
you doing it right? (obviously you don't)

QtCreator Project explorer should be independent of these "views", I
should be presented with a 'brain friendly' view of my project, not
random rubbish dictated by cmake.

> Could you please consider to try a 4.12 snapshot and check how things look
> there?

Could you please consider releasing thoroughly tested SW to your
(paid) customers?
Do you have a SW QA team?
Have you heard of the UX (user experience) concept?

> A screenshot from 4.12 would help a lot since that changed the icon for source
> groups so that they are actually distinguishable from folders;-)

Thanks for the smiley, but in case you didn't noticed, i'm not in a
mood for that. You released a version that completely wreck havock my
productivity.
And now you're asking me to do beta testing?!?
How much are you willing to pay me for that? I've wasted nearly an
hour to update the installer (Qt licensing stuff), so that i can
update QtCreator, so that it can completely brake my 'developer
experience'.

My apologies, but i'm really loosing faith in the Qt eco-system. We're
going from bad to worth, every single day it seems.
Chris