[Qt-creator] Annoyance with 4.11

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Thu Feb 20 13:02:46 CET 2020

On Thu, 2020-02-20 at 22:45 +1300, Christian Gagneraud wrote:
<snip>

> The project explorer is a GUI component that assists the user with
> graphically exploring a project.

Actually the project view is meant to show what the build system thinks your
project is. Such a view is necessary to allow for UI operations to manipulate
the project.

Even though it is unlikely that Creator will ever support UI operations to
manipulate CMake projects, its project tree follows the same approach. Source
groups are a part that is important to some users, so they need to be in the
project tree.

> The screenshots i sent recently clearly show a regression, not a
> 'preference issue'.
>
> Please as well take a note of my comment about cmake plugin being
> immature, my hate of this build system is orthogonal with the problem.

I do not consider the CMake plugin immature, even though it certainly has its
share of quirks. Now that we actually use CMake internally, we are slowly
starting to get rid of those.

<snip>

> And IMHO the regression nature of this problem (what i refer to as an
> 'annoyance' in my original email) is backed by the fact that it was
> fixed with QtC-4.12. You wouldn't fix a non-problem, would you?

It was not "fixed" in the sense that 4.12 will have reverted to the old
behavior, but you should get much nicer results there -- at least for people
used to how visual studio represents CMake projects.

<snip>

I regret that you are not happy with the commercial offering. Please inform your
sales representative about that, there is very little we can do about that from
here. Sorry.

Best Regards,
Tobias