[Qt-creator] Bumping minimum Qt version needed to build Qt Creator to Qt 5.14

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Tue Jun 9 09:06:16 CEST 2020

> On Jun 9, 2020, at 07:09, Orgad Shaneh <orgads at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 7:02 AM André Pönitz <apoenitz at t-online.de> wrote:
> Short version:
>
> We'd like to bump the minimum Qt version needed to build Qt Creator itself
> to Qt 5.14 starting with the upcoming Qt Creator 4.13 (the current 'master'
> branch in the repo)
>
> Hi,
>
> Debian sid still ships 5.12.5. Qt 5.14 is currently in the experimental repository.
>
> Same goes for Ubuntu. 20.04 ships 5.12.8, and 5.14 is available only on 20.10.
>
> I'd rather wait for 5.14 to land on the major distributions before raising the required version.
>
> - Orgad

The released Ubuntu and Debian distributions usually do not upgrade Qt Creator. Looks like Debian even ships a pretty outdated Qt 5.12...
So the affected group would be people who build Qt Creator themselves.
IMO it is not a big issue to require a newer Qt version for that?

On the other hand branching of Qt Creator 4.13 is only 3 weeks away, so doing that requirement bump for 4.14 wouldn’t delay us that much.

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer