[Qt-creator] clangd parsing time

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 15:13:36 CET 2021

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 12:12 AM Eike Ziller <Eike.Ziller at qt.io> wrote:

> Well, expected in the current state of clangd, though I'd say that it is a
> bug (and the issue for clangd is still "open", not rejected).
> Unfortunately it is something that we cannot directly fix in Qt Creator,
> though we can try to help the clangd people.

One of the responses said "If there's progress I would say everything is
working as expected...", so while it is open it doesn't seem that it's
being treated with any urgency.

I don't use Linux so I can't test, but it seems that indexing is faster on
Linux? I'm curious to know how long it takes to index Creator's sources, if
you know.

> To clarify a bit:
>
> The non-clangd indexer is not based on libclang/llvm, it is our own,
> self-written indexer that we already had before the ClangCodeModel.
> libclang does not support indexing.
>
> Even with clangd enabled in Qt Creator, we run our old indexer as a faster
> fallback solution until the clangd indexing has finished. So, so far the
> clangd indexing is just a "bonus" - even before it finishes, global
> searches etc are already enabled and done with our old indexer like without
> clangd, and after it finished the global searches use the more precise
> clangd indexer.

Thanks for the clarification. That is helpful.

Adam