[Qt-creator] clangd parsing time

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at qt.io
Wed Nov 10 17:08:12 CET 2021

On 11/10/21 15:13, Adam Light wrote:
> I don't use Linux so I can't test, but it seems that indexing is
> faster on Linux? I'm curious to know how long it takes to index
> Creator's sources, if you know.

On my 4-core CPU (plus hyper-threading), I observe that clangd starts
four worker threads, resulting in a constant 50% CPU load. Indexing Qt
Creator on an otherwise idle machine takes 65 minutes this way.

Manually setting the thread count to 8 gets the CPU load up to 99% and
indexing Qt Creator takes 20 minutes.

So it seems that on Linux, the default worker thread calculation takes
only physical cores into account, but otherwise things work more or less
as you'd expect. On other host systems, there appear to be some problems
regarding CPU utilization, from what I've read here.

Christian