[Qt-creator] "-j" options to make. Where do they come from? Can I change the value?

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Wed Feb 9 11:13:33 CET 2022

I'm using Qt Creator on a system that has 4 CPU cores. It seams like
that means "make" will always be run with argument "-j4". Is there a way
I can change the number 4 to something smaller? Where does the option
come from anyway?

A problem I have is that certain compile or link steps will use all the
capacity of one core, and parallel jobs typically start on separate
cores. If I have 4 jobs with 4 cores, that can mean all of them are
saturated, and the system becomes completely unresponsive. Meaning I
have to just sit and wait for the build to finish, while I prefer to run
it "in the background" (even if it it takes longer that way) and
continue to work on something else.

OS is CentOS Stream 8.

- Toralf