[Qt-creator] Poll: Contents / styling of editor toolbars

A. Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Tue Apr 4 19:53:37 CEST 2023

On Tue, Apr 04, 2023 at 05:34:30PM +0000, Jaroslaw Kobus via Qt-creator
wrote:
> 1. I never use what occupies the most of the toolbar, i.e. the
> combobox in the middle, containing the tree of namespaces / classes /
> methods.

I never use them either, actually. The only thing that I occasionally
looks at it the 'column' information.

> Maybe this functionality could be merged into "class view" on
> the left side, showing the content of the current editor (instead of
> showing everything from the current project, like it's now - probably
> it could be configurable).

One could think of making "any" action from Environment->Keyboard
"pinnable" to the toolbar. But would /you/ actually /use/ it,
instead of triggering it by the keyboard shortcut?

> 2. I never use encoding combo, which also occupies some place, so I'd
> hide it deeper (maybe inside file menu?)

Ok...

> 3. I would replace the current weird icon for "Remove Split" in the
> top right corner with the "X" icon. Not sure what to do with the "X"
> icon next to the filename combobox, though. But it should be rather
> clear that "X" next to the filename means we close the filename (in
> all splits), with "X" in the top right corned means we close the
> window (i.e. close the split).

"How" make this clear?

Ok, I am using FakeVim, I personally really /never/ look up there,
it's all vsp/sp/Ctrl-W <something> for me, so I don't really know
what an icon with a "good" visual hint looks like. Is  [x] a good
enough hint for "get rid of $thing, whatever $thing is" ?

> 4. I would add much more actions for text editing, like "to lower /
> upper", "visualize spaces", etc..., which are currently deeply hidden
> in menu structure or in settings. Make it configurable?

This is close to the first request, right?

Andre'