[Qt-creator] clangd + qtc vs clangd + any editor

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at qt.io
Thu Feb 23 10:49:17 CET 2023

On 2/23/23 06:38, Knut Petter Svendsen via Qt-creator wrote:
> I often get asked by my coworkers why I use qtcreator for general C++
> development (non-Qt) when you can use clangd with "any" editor and get
> code completion, navigation, refactoring etc. Often they mention vscode
> and/or vim.
>
> Assuming that you have a build system in place that can generate a
> compile_commands.json file, which advantages does QtCreator give? (non-Qt
> c++)
>
> I do have a personal preference for QtCreator, but I would greatly
> appreciate it if you could provide me with some insight on the matter.

Concentrating on the clangd interaction:

Firstly, you have to differentiate between generic LSP-aware clients and
those who know specifically about clangd. The former provide "good
enough" support for people who need to dabble with C++ projects once in
a while, but actual C++ developers will be missing a lot of
functionality that's provided by language-specific clangd extensions
(some of them contributed by us).

But even on top of clangd specifically, there is a lot of room for
clients to differentiate using the data from the server: You can present
the information in different ways, build custom functionality on top of
it etc. The client is not just a pass-through device. Which one you
prefer depends on your concrete requirements, but is surely also a
matter of taste.

Christian