[Qt-creator] Performance of the editor (with git plugin)

Björn Schäpers qt-maillist at hazardy.de
Sat May 13 23:21:11 CEST 2023

Am 11.05.2023 um 22:35 schrieb Björn Schäpers:
> Hi there,
>
> I recently got a new machine at work, sadly with a new(ly configured) anti
> virus software. And the performance of QtCreator when editing went down. I
> thought the anti virus was to blame (in a way it is, because if it's
> deactivated everything is fine again),
>
> [...]
>
> When I click into another editor (split view) or press F4 I've to wait about 3
> seconds before I can continue to work.
>
> Kind regards,
> Björn.
While this is being worked on (and I tried that patch) I discovered my delay
comes from somewhere else. A little bit (de-)activating plugins to see who is to
blame I can say my main delay is produced by the lambda "setupBlameForEditor" in
GitPluginPrivate::steupInstantBlame.

I put some qDebug timings in that function, the call to
GitClient::instance()->getAuthor(workingDirectory) takes something between 1.1
and 1.4 seconds, and in the end the call to instantBlame() takes another 1.2 to
1.3 seconds.

While I still try to convince my IT department that tools like git are not
dangerous and should not be delayed by the anti virus, for now I disable the git
plugin. But it would be nice if maybe this code could run on a different thread
so that it doesn't block the main loop.

Björn.