[Qt-interest] Phonon troubles...

Gary Coulbourne gcoulbourne at mediaguide.com
Fri Jun 12 19:17:40 CEST 2009

Howdy!

So, I've got a weird one... I've got an application that shows an audio
waveform from a .wav file, and plays it back.  It uses the signal from phonon
of current location in playback to show a "playback head".

Yesterday, I was having a problem with the application aborting without the
debugger catching it.  This only happened on one of my win32 development
boxes.  Turns out, the NeVideo.ax file installed by Nero causes this trouble
in several applications.  Since I don't use Nero for anything other than
burning discs, moving that file to a quarantine area sorted that trouble out.

Now, the application works quite well on my linux machine and on my two win32
(xp sp2) development machines.

It doesn't work on any other machines I have tried it on.  The application
runs and everything appears fine, but when the signal to start playback is
given to Phonon -- it just sits there.  I've been banging my head against this
all day, checking to make sure the DirectX version was right, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might cause Phonon playback to start on a
windows machine with Visual Studio installed and running as a development
machine, and one which only has the runtime installed?

Peace,
Gary