[Qt-interest] S60 SDK for Linux?

Fred Duarte fred.duarte at openbossa.org
Tue Jun 16 17:06:57 CEST 2009

Message from Mark Wilcox.

I can't answer everything here for the Qt side, but Symbian builds on Linux
are very much on the way.  The new Symbian build system (SBSv2 aka Raptor)
works on Linux and would have already been in the application development
toolkit (what the Symbian Foundation calls the package of tools that
includes Carbide.c++) if Nokia hadn't decided to initially contribute it
under the SFL at the last minute.  Our tools team at the Symbian Foundation
are pushing hard to get this moved to EPL as soon as possible so that we can
distribute it.

Raptor doesn't yet support GCC-E, which is a major barrier for community
adoption, and you can't currently build the Symbian platform, or the Qt
libraries with GCC-E either.  Both of these are being worked on as a matter
of priority too (although the latter isn't necessary for building Symbian
apps with Qt).

Carbide, being Eclipse-based should also be made to work on Linux but I've
not heard about any firm commitment or timescales for this.  However,
there's always Qt Creator.

It's also worth noting that the next version of the Symbian platform, called
Symbian^2 (the successor to S60 5th Edition on Symbian OS v9.4), will not
use a Windows emulator but rather a "simulator" (I believe most people would
say that the old solution was a simulator and the new solution is an
emulator, specifically an ARM emulator, so you can run target binaries on a
PC).  Unfortunately the "simulator" is not the qemu-based version that was
being developed in Symbian, but the proprietary ARM version which Nokia has
licensed and developed.  I'm still waiting for an answer on the portability
of this solution but long-term I believe we'll have to move to a qemu-based
solution for an open source platform with open source tools.  So, I don't
know if you'll still be stuck with target builds only for Symbian^2 on Linux
yet.

Hope that helps,

Mark

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:03 AM, <wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 June 2009 16:55:34 Fred Duarte wrote:
> > I've already got a response from the *qts60-**feedback* mailing list.
>
> Which is ... ?
>

> > On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Kurt Yang <jieshuzheng at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >    It may be not appropriate to ask it here. But S60 does not have an
> > > SDK on linux right now. :(
> > >
> > > On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Fred Duarte<
> fred.duarte at openbossa.org>

Frederico Simas Duarte
MLS - Mobile Linux Software
INDT - Nokia Institute