[Qt-interest] How to create a release version

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jun 18 13:51:57 CEST 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 18/06/2009, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Sujan Dasmahapatra wrote:
> >
> >> So can you tell me the guidelines for creating a release version of my
> >> software. ? Thanks
> >
> > Qt Software has alread told you:
> > http://doc.qtsoftware.com/4.5/deployment.html.
>
> I think you missed the point. I think Sujan wants to know *in general*
> how one *packages/prepares* a software product for Linux.

Yes, and that's exactly what the manual helps you with. I followed the approach
in the manual for own product and ended up with a perfectly suitable installable
package for our users. Of course, later on we decided add some extra pizazz by
using Bitrock, but the layout of the package we ship is exactly the one described
in http://doc.qtsoftware.com/4.5/deployment-x11.html.

Follow that page carefully and you will end up with a nice package of your software
product that can run pretty much on any Linux, unless you use Phonon.

Boudewijn