[Qt-interest] Issue before release

Srdjan Todorovic todorovic.s at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 19 11:36:55 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 19/06/2009, Sujan Dasmahapatra <sdh at lmglasfiber.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends
>
> My software version 1.1 is ready for release just one issue I have to
> resolve before I release.My software is an engineering software where I
> read various data file (points) and create a curve with those pointd and
> display that on the screen.

No. Your software is *not* ready for release if you have the problems
you write about below.

> I have a scene(QGraphicsScene) and a view(QGraphicsView) I have set that
> scene on the view constructor.Now every time I load a new curve  I
> simply add the curve into my scene.For some geometries the loading is
> not proper....
>
> Can somebody tell me what other  matters I  need to consider  for
>
> I have followe these steps.
>
> 1.       Read the data file (set of points) - reading through file
> dialog.

File I/O fails? Can't open file? No permissions? Data file corrupt?
Any software engineer of reasonable ability would have checked those
conditions and would have eliminated this (or at least know about it)
from the problem-space.

> 2.       Create a polyline with those data points which is a graphics
> item(QGraphicsItem).......drawPolyline(points,numberofpoints)

Are the points out of bounds from the view?
Are the objects being created?
Do the failing cases have anything unusual about them? (very few data
points, or a lot of data points)

> 3.       Add that graphics item into the scene(addItem).

Is it adding successfully? Have you checked?

> 4.       Fit the geometry in the view.(fitInView).

Have you checked that this works?

Have you isolated a particular case when the software does not work correctly?

Do you have unit tests? A test case?

> These 4 major steps I am executing  for loading a geometry on the
> screen...I think I am missing somethingelse so for some cases they're
> not being loaded properly in turn what happenes is not geometry is
> visible or the geometry is somewhereelse on the screen/view I can't
> see.Why this is happening can anyone please tell me.

I don't think anyone can tell you. I have no idea what your code looks
like, and what exactly is going on.

Only you, the author of the software, will know what is going on. Try
to split the problem-space into smaller chunks and trace your program
to see what is happening.

I wish you the best of luck,

Srdjan