[Qt-interest] unexposed _NET_WM_STATE hints

Girish Ramakrishnan girish at forwardbias.in
Wed Jun 24 09:49:29 CEST 2009

Chris Grebeldinger wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have been setting _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR and _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER hints manually for transient windows that I don't want showing up in the pager or taskbar, because I couldn't find a way to do it through the QWidget methods that worked with all window managers.  Is there a good reason these hints are not exposed ?  (Defined here: http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s05.html)

I guess it's because it is quite uncommon that these properties are used
by apps. It looks like if apps use the properties, they are probably
platform specific, in which case the author can just write platform code :-)

Btw 4.5, did introduce setting of some NET_WM hints (using WindowFlags)
 that are already in use by Qt widgets.

Girish