[Qt-interest] Qt on S60?

Ralf Kistner ralf.kistner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 18:31:50 CEST 2009

I'm starting a project involving a mobile application for an S60
phone. It will require:
 * A good, native looking UI (J2ME is not powerful enough)
 * Two standard C++ libraries
 * Integration with mobile-specific services, specifically contacts
and location (GPS).

I saw a technology preview of Qt for S60 is available, and my previous
experience with Qt was much more enjoyable than native Symbian
development.

Now my questions:
 * Is the base Qt system (QtCore, QtGui and QtNetwork) stable enough
for production use, or will it be in the next 2 months?
 * Will I be able to use the Symbian mobile API's without too much
trouble? The Mobility project doesn't seem to provide all the services
I require yet, so I assume I'll have to access it directly.
 * Will I be able to create a good UI for an S60 phone without a touch screen?

If not, I'll have to stick with native Symbian with OpenC/C++.

Regards,
Ralf Kistner