[Qt-interest] Qt 4.5.0 packaging issue

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Wed Mar 4 20:53:37 CET 2009

Pascal Patry wrote:
>This issue might already be known by a few people, but I'd like to know
> what's the correct way of fixing it before trying anything.
>
>The package "qt-all-commercial-src-4.5.0.tar.gz" is great but contains
> an issue. It is targeted to be used on unix/mac and win32 platforms.
> However, the package contains these 2 directories:
>
>qt-all-commercial-src-4.5.0/include/Phonon/
>qt-all-commercial-src-4.5.0/include/phonon/
>
>This is not a problem on unix like systems, but on win32, it conflicts.
> Obviously, all files should probably go in the same directory, but
> which one should it be if I don't want to break my unix builds?

The correct solution is to not share the same sources between case-
sensitive and case-insensitive file systems.

On case-sensitive filesystems, the split is like in the package: the files
under Phonon/ have class names for filenames and no .h ending. That's the
supported way of accessing the headers and the method used in KDE too. The
ones in phonon/ (lowercase p) are headername.h, considered legacy.

On case-insensitive filesystems, just merge them all together. That's what
happens if you unzip or untar the package.

We screwed up with Qt 4.4 by getting the wrong capitalisation. We're
fixing it in 4.5, but we have to support the older, broken name.

--
Thiago Macieira - thiago.macieira (AT) nokia.com
  Senior Product Manager - Nokia, Qt Software