[Qt-interest] [Linux] Ugly anti-aliasing (still) in Qt 4.5

Sebastian Krause sebastian at realpath.org
Thu Mar 5 21:13:34 CET 2009

Hi,

Even though I actually like Qt, the ugly font hinting in Qt 4.x has
made me mostly avoid Qt applications on Linux during the last two
years. It used to be a known bug and I was by far not the only one
suffering from it:

A blog post from the Trolltech Labs last September made me hope to
finally get a solution to this problem:

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008/09/01/subpixel-antialiasing-on-x11/

Now that Qt 4.5 is released I installed it (the Debian packages from
experimental) to see if things have improved. But to my
disappointment it still looks the same as before. Here is a
screenshot to show what I mean:

http://realpath.org/screenshots/qt.png

In the foreground Qt with rather blurry fonts and in the background
Gtk, demonstrating how it is supposed to look like. I tried severeal
different howtos to edit the ~/fonts.conf, e.g. these two:

http://johan.kiviniemi.name/blag/ubuntu-fonts/
http://martin.ankerl.com/2009/01/22/beautiful-font-hinting-in-ubuntu-810/

But no matter what I change, Qt4 always draws the fonts in exactly
the same blurry way. Is there anything that I've missed and need to
change to fix Qt?

Thanks,
Sebastian