[Qt-interest] Qt 4.5 build failing on Mac OSX

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:55:51 CET 2009

I have built Qt 4.5 on OS X 10.5.6 using Xcode 3.1.2 from Apple. This
was on an Intel based machine. The configure line that I used was the
following:

./configure -prefix /Users/Shared/Toolkits/Qt-4.5.0-UBFramework
-universal -cocoa -framework -fast -shared -debug-and-release

Which built a 32 bit universal binary (ppc7400 and i386) of Qt.

Some notes from ./configure --help:
	    -cocoa ............. Build the Cocoa version of Qt. Note that
-no-framework
                         and -static is not supported with -cocoa. Specifying
                         this option creates Qt binaries that requires Mac OS X
                         10.5 or higher.

    -arch <arch> ....... Build Qt for <arch>
                         Example values for <arch>: x86 ppc x86_64 ppc64
                         Multiple -arch arguments can be specified,
64-bit archs
                         will be built with the Cocoa framework.

So, reading above if you want a 64bit build (Quad binary) then you are
_required_ to have frameworks, which requires Dylibs and also use the
-cocoa flag.  You will also need to add the following:

-arch x86 -arch x86_64 -arch ppc -arch ppc64 to the "configure line above".

Hope that helps
Mike Jackson