[Qt-interest] Mac 10.5.6 Qt3 messed up X11 fonts

Murphy, Sean M. sean.murphy at gd-ais.com
Wed Mar 18 17:01:58 CET 2009

> > The only font related idea I have is are you explicitly setting the
font
> > in your application?  If so, try setting to a different one, or a
> > different size.  If you aren't explicitly setting the font, maybe
try to
> > and see if that helps?  Also you say you cleared the system and User
> > fonts, but I *think* (not 100% positive) X11 uses the fonts located
in
> > /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts, I don't think (again, not 100% positive) X11
> > uses the same fonts as "normal" Mac applications, so did you check
the
> > fonts located in that location?
>
> Those caches were rebuilt as well.
>
> > Unfortunately I probably didn't solve your problem, but is there a
good
> > reason you are using the X11 version on the Mac?

Didn't see you answer this one.

> > If you're app is just a pure C++/Qt application, you can just dump
the
> > X11 version and use the Mac native version.  If you want to go down
that
> > route, you *can* get Qt 3.3.8 to compile on Leopard using the hints
> > posted here: http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13208 specifically the
link
> > to  here

http://fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/fink/dists/10.4/unstable/main
/finkinfo/graphics/qt3mac.patch2

> > I'd definitely recommend getting off X11 on the Mac side if at all
> > possible.  Also, I should probably toss in the obligatory "and move
> > Qt4 too if you can" comment!
>
> Switching to Qt4 is just not possible at this time.

Totally understand, I'm in the same boat with a Qt3 app I have, which is
why I had to dig around to get Qt 3.3.8 to build under OS X 10.5.  I'd
definitely try to see if you can get a native Mac build rather than
using the X11 version.  If you're app is truly Qt, and you aren't making
explicit X11 calls yourself, it should take almost no work to port your
app over - once you have the Mac native version of Qt3 built.

Sean