[Qt-interest] Mac 10.5.6 Qt3 messed up X11 fonts

Jeremy Mann jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Mar 18 19:27:20 CET 2009

Murphy, Sean M. wrote:
>> > The only font related idea I have is are you explicitly setting the
> font
>> > in your application?  If so, try setting to a different one, or a
>> > different size.  If you aren't explicitly setting the font, maybe
> try to
>> > and see if that helps?  Also you say you cleared the system and User
>> > fonts, but I *think* (not 100% positive) X11 uses the fonts located
> in
>> > /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts, I don't think (again, not 100% positive) X11
>> > uses the same fonts as "normal" Mac applications, so did you check
> the
>> > fonts located in that location?
>>
>> Those caches were rebuilt as well.
>>
>> > Unfortunately I probably didn't solve your problem, but is there a
> good
>> > reason you are using the X11 version on the Mac?
>
> Didn't see you answer this one.

Our app came from Linux and we've ported it to use Apple/X11. We are
slowly moving to Qt4.

> Totally understand, I'm in the same boat with a Qt3 app I have, which is
> why I had to dig around to get Qt 3.3.8 to build under OS X 10.5.  I'd
> definitely try to see if you can get a native Mac build rather than
> using the X11 version.  If you're app is truly Qt, and you aren't making
> explicit X11 calls yourself, it should take almost no work to port your
> app over - once you have the Mac native version of Qt3 built.

I put up a stock 10.5.6 Leopard system, copied over our development code,
and recompiled 3.3.8. I tried the "fontdemo" example and that too has the
same font issue. I'm kind of at a loss here as to what is happening.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility