[Qt-interest] C++ + QT vs C#

Scott Aron Bloom Scott.Bloom at sabgroup.com
Fri Mar 20 15:56:27 CET 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Pau Garcia i Quiles [mailto:pgquiles at elpauer.org]
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 3:10 AM
To: Scott Aron Bloom
Cc: qt-interest at trolltech.com
Subject: Re: [Qt-interest] C++ + QT vs C#

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Scott Aron Bloom
<Scott.Bloom at sabgroup.com> wrote:
> Maybe you missed my point.  The project looks very cool..  What doesn't make sense to me... isn't Qyoto... Its C# on unix...

What's wrong with C# on Unix? C# is just another programming language.
Would you say Objective C on Linux is wrong? (the GNUstep window
manager, which works on Unix, is implemented in Objective C)
-------------------
Nothing wrong with it.. I just don't see the value... Since objective C first major deployment was for a unix (NextStep) 20 something years ago... I have no problem with it...

> C# IMNSHO is purely a "We don't want to pay licensing fees to Sun" language... I am not a huge Java fan, but it serves a purpose...
>
> I understand why MS created/bought and now markets C#.. I have coded quite a bit with it.. however, without a .NET equivalent framework behind it... how will you be able to use it?

There is Mono http://www.mono-project.com/
--------

I knew of Mono... note... it falls into the same pitfall as MainSoft used to...  That being its about 1.5 years behind in framework compatibility...

It was always an ongoing battle... Microsoft adds something to MFC/Win32/Com/ActiveX libraries that were supported by Mainsoft...  And now you have to think is it supported by mainsoft yet? Can I use it?

Mono says its now ".NET 2.0" compatible...

> My mainsoft comment was this..  MainSofts "purpose" was to provide a MFC and Win32 set of functionality on top of X11 environments.  So that when I wrote my code on windows, I could in theory rebuild it on X11.. and it would run...

MainSoft's purpose was to make easy to port a Win32 application to
Linux without rewriting the code. Pretty much the same thing you can
achieve now with wine.

----------------

Actually linux was an afterthought.  Originally it was for solaris and HPUX.  Linux came out about 3-4 years after the initial release of mainsoft.

> So if I write C# on my windows box, if I only wrote C# without any framework calls.. would C# ever be the language of choice?
>
> Isnt that what your providing with a linux version of the .net framework calls...

No.

> I couldn't find on the qyoto site what framework libraries are provided.

Qyoto does not provide any part of .NET. Qyoto only provides the Qt
API but in C++.

> Please note... The project does look like a great exercise..  Im just not sure of the viability of the C# language for anything besides... MS windows development.

Given that there are a lot of Unix and Mac applications developed in
C# using Qyoto and Gtk#, I'd say you are wrong.
-----

Again.. the point of this thread was to show, that the same algorithm, implement with the same level of expertise... C# falls flat on its face performance and memory wise...

That doesn't mean that you cant write VERY effective gui apps, but core development, performance intensive applications should avoid C# :)

Scott