[Qt-interest] Qt 4.5 Open Source (Windows) -- is it legal to redistribute the Qt DLLs?

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Sat Mar 21 10:38:33 CET 2009

Hi,

"Kermit Mei" <kermit.mei at gmail.com> schreef in bericht
news:gq2b51$lkf$1 at eple.troll.no...

> Oh, thanks. pthread.h is a part of GNU C Lib and it is published under
> LGPL too. But sir, I consider that GNU C must use the linux kernel's
> interface and libs? And if it use these GPLv2 based code, then it at
> least be GPLv2, but not LGPL.
>
> I know I'm not right, but I don't know why.

The rule of thumb is that the restrictions do not apply if the library is a
system library. That is: you are allowed to link against something like the
Linux kernel interface without disclosing your source. There are a lot of
grey area's here. If your program is a normal application, you are safe. If
it is something that interfaces much more closely to the kernel (like device
drivers), then you may come into that grey area. That's why some distros do,
and some don't distribute closed source drivers.

André