[Qt-interest] Qt 4.5 Open Source (Windows) -- is it legal to redistribute the Qt DLLs?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Sat Mar 21 18:50:20 CET 2009

André Somers wrote:
>The rule of thumb is that the restrictions do not apply if the library
> is a system library

That is correct, but you must understand we're talking about the reverse
direction.

A GPL application is allowed to link to a system library even if that
system library is closed source. That's how there are GPL applications on
Windows.

However, a GPL system library is not allowed to link (or be linked) to a
closed-source application. That's why the system libraries on Linux are
actually LGPL (and one of the reasons why we chose to change the licensing
for Qt -- we want Qt to become one day "system library").

--
Thiago Macieira - thiago.macieira (AT) nokia.com
  Senior Product Manager - Nokia, Qt Software