[Qt-interest] error opening framebuffer device

Ravi_Kalepalli Ravi_Kalepalli at Satyam.com
Wed Mar 25 10:09:52 CET 2009

Hi everyone,
I am installing Qt-embedded 4.5(technical preview) on Linux fedora 8(which already has Qt/X11 installed in it).
I followed the follwing installation steps(after unzipping the archive)----
1. cd to/ where/ I had saved the extracted Qt emb. folder
2. ./configure -qvfb
3.gmake (as prompted in the terminal)
4.gmake install( prompted in terminal)
5.I couldn't find .profile anywhere in "/root" so,as per suggestions received,I copied the PATH=/usr/local/....... in .bash_profile removing the preexisting PATH in .bash_profile(meant for Qt/X11)
6.Now,I am trying to run the 'textedit' example in the demos folder.It's not showing any error when I do "make" but when I try "./textedit -qws",I get a continuous flow of the following message---
    QScreenLinuxFb::connect:No such file or directory
     Error opening framebuffer device /dev/fb0

The 'analogclock' widget example is working fine(I tried ./analogclock -qws)

I checked http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qvfb.html and there it's written that I should do the following--
compile and run the qvfb tool as a normal Qt for X11 application (i.e., do not compile it as a Qt for Embedded Linux application):
cd path/to/Qt/tools/qvfb
make
./qvfb

Problem is, I don't have the Qt/X11 folder downloaded from the internet(which contains the 'tools' folder).Qt/X11 was installed by some other guy(don't know who) long time back and now,I can't find the 'tools' folder which came along with Qt/X11 anywhere in my system.
What do I do?Is there any alternative(I am not really looking forward to reinstalling everything)?I assumed that since I didn't do the above steps(compiling qvfb) so,I am getting the errors.
Please advice.
Thank you..

DISCLAIMER: