[Qt-interest] error opening framebuffer device

Luca Ottaviano lottaviano at develer.com
Wed Mar 25 11:59:09 CET 2009

Il giorno mer, 25/03/2009 alle 14.39 +0530, Ravi_Kalepalli ha scritto:
> Hi everyone,
> I am installing Qt-embedded 4.5(technical preview) on Linux fedora 8(which already has Qt/X11 installed in it).
> I followed the follwing installation steps(after unzipping the archive)----
> 1. cd to/ where/ I had saved the extracted Qt emb. folder
> 2. ./configure -qvfb
> 3.gmake (as prompted in the terminal)
> 4.gmake install( prompted in terminal)
> 5.I couldn't find .profile anywhere in "/root" so,as per suggestions received,I copied the PATH=/usr/local/....... in .bash_profile removing the preexisting PATH in .bash_profile(meant for Qt/X11)
> 6.Now,I am trying to run the 'textedit' example in the demos folder.It's not showing any error when I do "make" but when I try "./textedit -qws",I get a continuous flow of the following message---
>     QScreenLinuxFb::connect:No such file or directory
>      Error opening framebuffer device /dev/fb0

You need a framebuffer active on your machine, either a physical or a
virtual one.
I went for the virtual one, that you can compile from Qt/X11 desktop
sources. Then, just start qvfb and later on your program.
Maybe you can find the qvfb app in one of the Ubuntu's dev packages, but
I'm not sure, last time I checked it was the Qt 3 version (which of
course doesn't work with Qt 4 apps...).

Best regards,
Ing. Luca Ottaviano - lottaviano at develer.com
Develer S.r.l. - http://www.develer.com/