[Qt-interest] [Newbie Question] Converting C lib to Qt

Judy Duncan jduncan at duncanimaging.com
Thu Mar 26 17:08:04 CET 2009

I need to write a cross-platform SDK for a custom I/O device and a GUI app
that talks to that library to provide an interface for the device.  The I/O
device sends/receives both command/data and images.  The SDK will be
distributed to users of the device for their own application development. Qt
is the ideal solution.

At present I have a C library that handles the device communication.  I need
the new lib to be C++.  In addition to Linux & Windows, the app must also
eventually run on a PDA w/ embedded Linux.  It handles protocol issues using
mostly byte arrays for buffers.  In weighing how to approach the library...

1 - I could just put a C++ wrapper around the C code and leave out any Qt
references in the library (i.e. only use Qt in the UI app).
2 - I could do some more major reconstruction of the C code to rebuild it
with a class structure.  Several of the Qt data structures offer features
that would be helpful, but if I use them the SDK will need the Qt libraries.

3 - I suppose I could just leave the C lib as it is and make calls into it.

For those of you with more experience with this tool set...
- Would you suggest it's worth re-writing to utilize the Qt data types..?
This would require that users of the SDK also utilize Qt, but I don't think
that's a problem in this case .
- If I utilize Qt's data types, is there a danger of bloating the memory
requirements so that implementation in the resource-limited environment of a
PDA becomes a problem?
- Any comments on creating a static vs dynamic library.  I don't know of any
particular requirements for one over the other.

Thanks in advance,
Judy