[Qt-interest] QT 4.5 SDK with Visual Studio Beta plugin creates project that won't compile

David Ching dc at dcsoft.com
Sun Mar 29 16:15:25 CEST 2009

> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:16:51 -0500
> From: "Dorosky, Christopher G" <christopher.g.dorosky at lmco.com>
> Subject: Re: [Qt-interest] QT 4.5 SDK with Visual Studio Beta plugin
> 	creates project that won't compile
> Thanks, your blog is great.
>
> I had the commercial version of QT SDK, listed as the VS2005 version.
> Curiously enough, it doesn't compile its own empty projects. I kind of
> expected better quality for the $xxxx per license.
>
> This came with no source. So I downloaded the LGPL version listed in
> your blog to get the source.
>
> The configure works, then nmake dies after awhile with a cryptic
> message.
>
> I had originally wanted to try to use QT Creator, but I can't handle
> the
> frequent IDE crashing.
>
> My eventual target platform will be Linux, so I am hoping that QT SDK
> quality is higher on there.
>
> Is the final product actually worth it once it's up and running?
> I know lots of people seem to like it, but it's given me nothing but
> grief.
>
> As a comment to your blog, the commercial version, if you get the SDK,
> does not seem to integrate nicely into VS either. It launches Designer
> as an external program as well.
>
> I think I am going to give the stand alone VS2005 version a try.
> Perhaps
> that has been through the wringer better already.

Chris, if you have Commercial, you should also have the commercial VS
Integration.  At least as of Qt 4.4.3 (prior version to 4.5), there was a
qt-vs-integration for 1.4.3 which does have the built-in designer.  There
was also downloads for qt-commercial-src which had source code you could
build, as well as qt-commercial-4-4-3-vs2005.  I installed both and ended up
with source code, so am not sure which one (or both) came with source.

What is the error message that you get when you build the LPGL?  Qt Creator
is not nearly as mature as the VS integration.

-- David