[Qt-interest] Qt for the iPad?

Andrew Hodgkinson ahodgkinson at endurancetech.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 19:37:12 CEST 2010

On 07/04/2010 17:35, Jason H wrote:

> The more I think about it the more important I think it is to get Qt
> onto Android/iPhone/Pad devices. If this is the growth sector of
> computing (and it looks like it is... aka "computers in the bedroom")

I'm kind of torn on that. On the one hand, I appreciate people more
familiar with C++, Qt and/or an existing code they could reuse, wanting
to see Qt on the iPad. On the other hand, the Apple frameworks, language
and development ethos are so elegant and comparatively tightly coded that
it's sort of a shame to bolt on an equivalent in the form of a big lump
of compiled C++. API aside, the implementation language itself lacks many
of the run-time features that make the Apple environment - or modern .Net
for Microsofties :-) - so compelling. To some degree - and I apologise
for this looking a bit like flamebait - C++ is, well, at best quaint by
comparison when used *in this particular field*.

I suppose much boils down to just how well Qt can "get out of the way"
and call down to the OS, minimising its footprint, while presenting the
style of APIs that its developers expect. Mind you - that ought to always
be a concern, even on the Desktop, but efficiency really is particularly
important on embedded platforms, even comparatively powerful ones like
the iPhone and iPad.

> The only concern I would have is would these few OS platforms just be
> a flash in the pan, before we transition to full OSs on them?

We may find out soon enough - if HP's rumoured tablet turns out to be a
full Win 7 OS as expected, then we have to see if it sells well. It looks
nice in terms of features, but seems to pay a heavy penalty in battery
life; but this is all based on rumour. A tablet with less than a day of
continuous running time seems to miss the point to me, but then the
industry now seems to be very close to achieving this with enough
horsepower for a "full blown" OS.

Meanwhile, things like iPhone OS and Android look quite like a desktop OS
in many ways; mostly only the GUI layer is obviously different. It's not
different because of resources (with all those iPad animations and big
graphics, it's almost the opposite); it's different because making the
best use of a touch screen requires it to be so.

So it's a bit silly that we're even saying this. The iPad is a 1GHz
platform (and an efficient 1GHz per cycle at that) with decent GPU and
256MB RAM. Not all that long ago, you'd have run Windows XP on something
with a similar specification and called it a workstation. I really don't
see why you couldn't take a reasonably full featured Linux distro, stick
it on comparable hardware and get decent results - GUI aside. Battery
management may not be quite so good but that's software; improvements
therein would potentially benefit any mobile device using the OS.

Like or hate the iPad and/or Apple, it's a welcome change to see a
company making such a modern design and structure of OS + front-end
software run with such remarkable perceived performance on such a
constrained hardware platform. In the mainstream desktop world, the way
that software has seemed to soak up hardware improvements over the years
has been pretty depressing. I fear the competition is doomed to produce
numerous tablets with higher CPU speeds, but lower battery life and
stuttering GUI performance from inefficiencies in the competing software
stack that Apple seem to have eliminated in their own. I hope I'm wrong!

--
Andrew Hodgkinson, Endurance Technology
Land line: 01223 369 408, mobile: 07855 866 780